Skip to main content

Divali

-as seen by an orphan somewhere

The night is ablaze. The sky dons a vermillion hue. Quaint eruptions of laughter and revelry sail in through wrought iron gates. All is calm here, but not silent. The opening round of crackers burst erratically. It is an equal music.

I stand in a forgotten nook of the orphanage. The wind lacerates the mud water as it puffs towards me. Outside, the traffic slashes through the brightly lit roads. Its roar comes to me as white noise.

Divali night is always subdued inside-tonight, it is even more so. An aura of gloom envelops the compound, contrary to the gaiety outside. Some light filters through from the outside world and makes feeble attempts to dispel the glumness inside. Burnt 'rocket' ends land on the dried grass from time to time.

Almost tearfully I ruminate on some lines my mother once read to me. That voice is still clear but bodiless:
'That night of hate grows dense around us.
We laugh through what we can't dispel,

While apathy and terror hound us
On well-intentioned paths to hell.
…Live day to day; relieve a little

What sorrow lies within ourscope;

A moratorium on hope

Will, if it makes our laughter brittle,
Lend peace until that day of wrath
When the smooth doomtoys hurtle forth.


Today I've turned thirteen. Already I feel ten years older-burdened, troubled and uneasy with my own self. Eight years ago, life came crashing down on me; on Divali I lost my parents, aspirations, belongings, history and perhaps, accent.

Eight years later things have finally settled down in their un-allotted slots. The wheel of time may have come full circle. But life is now more profound, more contradictory.

From the orphanage funds there came this evening, a few sparklers, crackers and 'rockets'. These were shared by about a hundred of us helplessly happy souls. Not surprisingly, the brief and feeble fireworks lasted for about as long as our initial delight. A gaping void took the place of enjoyment.

At present, I listen intently to the caustic ticking of my wristwatch-my only remaining souvenir of my past life. It is just eight in the evening. Our ephemeral celebrations are past. Even the two stick-jaws each of us received, have been consumed with relish.

I am content here-well looked after, happy, healthy, well-fed, literate-yet somehow not satisfied. Even now I await the arrival of the folks who came yesterday and promised us a grand show of fireworks tonight.

I trudge towards those huge iron gates. I peek through the bars. An unrecognized world buffets me. I spot unadulterated happiness, goodwill-even bliss. The real show has just begun. Without pause, crackers continue to bang and fizz. Coloured sparklers swarm the streets. Exhilarating 'rockets' blur the night sky. The show continues. Unending. Undiminished. The tempo continues to increase. I am besides myself with glee and tears. The world beckons. But the gates remain barred.

Suppressing a nagging desire to join the people outside, I delightedly watch the show. All shops and houses are decorated with artificial light. Here, we made do with a few 'diyas'.

Impatiently, I wait those people to arrive and give us our due.

The fireworks outside continue. Minutes dissolve into hours. Slowly, the fireworks wane. But still no sight of them. It is now ten-thirty. People who still wish to pour their lucre into fire, continue bursting crackers.

Gradually, the night quietens. A harsh breeze cuts across the compound. By now, I have lost hope of their ever coming.

Quietly, I retreat into the glowing shadow belt...

Comments

Over here in the UK, when we speak, as us old musos do, of the really creative musical areas in Britain, we talk of Manchester or maybe London.

When the blogging world speaks they should talk in terms of India and the Phillipines. Both have an excellent set of blog writers and you young mate are one of 'em.

A rivetting read.
Casablanca said…
So simple, so heart-wrenching.

At such times, I wonder what we whine about... when we have so much! Why do we make a storm about our small problems, when the world is over for someone else?
Nicole Braganza said…
I thought I did comment on this? Oh well.....absentminded, I certainly am! It is very very good as always, Shubho. You do touch our hearts, esp with writing like this!
This is really vivid, as a mum I find it hard to read about children who've lost parents, but you have woven in a visual rollacoaster of Divali and the isolation of one who whatches on the sideline, thank-you for adding my link call any time
Shubhodeep said…
just read a few lines in the book im presently reading:

"May we not be as foolish as we are almost bound to be. if we cannot eschew hatred, let us atleast eschew group hatred. May we see that we could have been born as each other. May we, in short, believe in humane logic, and perhaps, in due course ,love."

VIKRAM SETH ('TWO LIVES')

btw, this was an essay i was supposed to write in class, but somehow managed to turn into a sort
of story/anecdote/experience. dont know how my english teacher will accept it though.
Shubhodeep said…
cj>>i'm honoured. i hope ill be able to continue writing stuff that other people like, and above all, stuff that i enjoy.

casablanca>>precisely

nic>>thank you

sue>>it is difficult to accept misery but thats how the world stands- more full of misery, and most unfortunately, most of this misery is man-made.
You're on to something here, my tlented young friend. Explore this sensation of isolation and be sure to also gaze where the bars that bind are not so obvious.
Shubhodeep said…
by the way, folks the poem is by Vikram Seth. It's from the Golden Gate, a marvellous and amazing book by any standard. it's a novel in verse - that too in metre and rhyme. i finished it last night. still cant get over the ending. it's a must read for all poetry lovers.
Tia Raina said…
hey i like vikram seth too-was hooked since 'the frog and the nightingale' in school.I agree..the golden gate is..well..'something'.
. : A : . said…
Beautifully sad. A good use of perspective in this piece.
Devilish Angel said…
sad post...good writing...
Shubhodeep said…
t2>> the amazing thing about the book is its readability

.:a:. >> :D (or should it be the other way around)

vanathi>> thanks
musik-addikt said…
this is a beautiful piece, we have just celebrated guy fawkes here, and I only just realised that during the festivities I did not see a single firework, due to being busy!
Anonymous said…
Hey, do you know where I can get the "Frog and the nightingale" from. Used to love that poem, just can't find it on the net anymore.

please email it to nikhil1729(at)hotmail

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Tide

Years later, when these tears have dried with the mist will you even recognise the pain that's floated down the years? Years later, when we walk beneath teary-eyed skies, will you spare a moment and laugh at how dry my eyes look? Years later, when all my love has turned to loss Will you turn to me and whisper that all that anger was love? Follow @diaporesis

A New Beginning

Well, it's the season of sequels, so I offer here my very own 'desi' sequel. This story is a sequel to Delirium : hope you enjoy it!!! And, pardon the length!!! Murky sun-rays sink into the evening dust. The dust fuses with the bars of my window. I sit and stare into bleak oblivion. Disjointed thoughts overwhelm reason. The world appears a hateful blur. Slowly, the sky turns from indigo to violet to a stellar black. I keep sitting—unflinching, unblinking, unmoving. I gaze at the unrained, undusted sky. Consoling hope seems to rain from it. I am lost in my thoughts, not hers. I try to come ashore… ~ Three months have passed since she left. Hesitatingly, I have tried to fill up the immense void of her charmed non-presence. She had called up once after she left. That’s the last time I heard Tanya’s voice. That’s probably the last time I’ll ever hear it again! But what do I do with the memories of that voice? Still so clear, still so true: ‘Hi, it’s Tanya,’ the v

Delirium

I met her at a club dinner one Saturday night. There was an odd sort of radiance on her countenance. I was helping myself to a fifth glass of chilled lemonade when I spotted her. She was standing alone—though not in a corner. I walked up to her out of sheer curiosity. Something magnetic about her seemed to be drawing me towards her—irresistibly, inevitably… Hesitating slightly, I sauntered casually up to where she stood. ‘Don’t you think the music’s playing a bit too loud’ I asked casually. ‘Uh…yeah, well sort of’ she replied somewhat warily. ‘So, enjoying yourself?’ I asked. ‘Yeah’ she said without enthusiasm. ‘Don’t sound like it’ I remarked. ‘Well,’ she said more freely, ‘I thought I’d meet some friends at least. But my luck seems to have run out.’ She sighed. I looked up and nearly gasped. For the first time I noticed how pretty she was. Fringes of hair ran down her face, and as she pushed them back I noticed her eyes—sparkling black—she looked bewitching. ‘Oh well…yeah it’s that w