Skip to main content

This is how it happens...

A strange silence drowned her nights and burned her days. It was a silence she had never heard before, touched before. It smelt almost like fear, but not quite so musty. This made her fear it even more than fear. She sat still in the darkest corner because it was the most obvious thing to do. Moreover, it was the only thing she could do. Darkness shrouded her like wasted memory. She wallowed in it with the pleasure of a person who’s sure to die.

Then, all of a sudden, she did something she had never done before— she started thinking. It’s something normal people never do until they’re alone. She was normal, so she had never considered thinking for herself. That was partly because it’s never polite to think in company; one must always let the company think for everyone. The other part of the reason she did not know. But she knew that it existed. So now that she was alone, she could think; and so she did. She thought because she had nothing better to do. No parties to attend, no sermons to deliver, no clothes to wash. She thought because it was the most natural thing to do in unnatural circumstances. She thought not because she wanted to, but because it was her new-found toy. Something she would soon discard. So she thought while it still gave her some malevolent pleasure.

She did not have to copy others: there was nobody to ape. Her thoughts changed like shades of black. They were as she wanted them to be: Sometimes strange, sometimes sane. But then she began delving deeper than was safe for her. Like all great people before her, she started paving her own beautiful way to perdition. She committed the greatest mistake of all. She started questioning. She started questioning why she did what she did, and this led her to think what it was that she actually did. In the end, it was not her thoughts that drove her mad, it was her questions. In the past, questions had led to the gallows; but she was spared that specific humiliation. She suffered a greater defeat: she rotted till neither her thoughts remained nor her questions.

Her death was quiet: just as she didn’t want it to be. It was another defeat. But it could not quite be called defeat: it was surrender. And that was how she came to be what she was not, and that was why she had to die. Because this is how it happens, and this is how it will continue to be so: without rhyme, fanfare and reason. And then it will begin again. But it won’t matter because nobody knows when it’s the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning. This is how it happens. Amen.

Comments

Dr.John said…
Well written but just a little on the weird side.
I think (perhaps dangerously) this is you favorite dark turn. You carress its inky silkiness!
Roger Stevens said…
Hi

Good to hear from you again. Whilst updating my blog I accidently lost all my old blog addresses - so i'm pleased to be able to put you back in the sidebar thing. Great news about your poems. Keep up the good work.

I love the kites poem. I think you should do a bit more wok on it. I think the structure needs tightening up. It probably needs to be about a third shorter.

I only mention this because I think you've got a great poem there!

Good luck. keep in touch.
Roger Stevens said…
I don't mean do more wok on it. That would be silly... yes, the word was work...

XXXX
Ritesh Nair said…
dude whats wrong.. no new posts!
nehasaraswt said…
"feared more than fear".... yes i have experienced most of it... very well said...
Malini Banerjee said…
dark.
life's grey. not always dark.
Malini Banerjee said…
i'm glad you found time to read through the shit :)
Malini Banerjee said…
thanks.
will keep that in mind when i log in to my page next.
:)

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Tide

Years later, when these tears have dried with the mist will you even recognise the pain that's floated down the years? Years later, when we walk beneath teary-eyed skies, will you spare a moment and laugh at how dry my eyes look? Years later, when all my love has turned to loss Will you turn to me and whisper that all that anger was love? Follow @diaporesis

A New Beginning

Well, it's the season of sequels, so I offer here my very own 'desi' sequel. This story is a sequel to Delirium : hope you enjoy it!!! And, pardon the length!!! Murky sun-rays sink into the evening dust. The dust fuses with the bars of my window. I sit and stare into bleak oblivion. Disjointed thoughts overwhelm reason. The world appears a hateful blur. Slowly, the sky turns from indigo to violet to a stellar black. I keep sitting—unflinching, unblinking, unmoving. I gaze at the unrained, undusted sky. Consoling hope seems to rain from it. I am lost in my thoughts, not hers. I try to come ashore… ~ Three months have passed since she left. Hesitatingly, I have tried to fill up the immense void of her charmed non-presence. She had called up once after she left. That’s the last time I heard Tanya’s voice. That’s probably the last time I’ll ever hear it again! But what do I do with the memories of that voice? Still so clear, still so true: ‘Hi, it’s Tanya,’ the v

Delirium

I met her at a club dinner one Saturday night. There was an odd sort of radiance on her countenance. I was helping myself to a fifth glass of chilled lemonade when I spotted her. She was standing alone—though not in a corner. I walked up to her out of sheer curiosity. Something magnetic about her seemed to be drawing me towards her—irresistibly, inevitably… Hesitating slightly, I sauntered casually up to where she stood. ‘Don’t you think the music’s playing a bit too loud’ I asked casually. ‘Uh…yeah, well sort of’ she replied somewhat warily. ‘So, enjoying yourself?’ I asked. ‘Yeah’ she said without enthusiasm. ‘Don’t sound like it’ I remarked. ‘Well,’ she said more freely, ‘I thought I’d meet some friends at least. But my luck seems to have run out.’ She sighed. I looked up and nearly gasped. For the first time I noticed how pretty she was. Fringes of hair ran down her face, and as she pushed them back I noticed her eyes—sparkling black—she looked bewitching. ‘Oh well…yeah it’s that w